FACT: The U.S. government abolished slavery in 1865, as a result of the Civil War.
FICTION: Slavery has ceased to exist.
FACT: Human Trafficking is modern slavery. According to the US Department of State, "An estimated 800,000 men, women, and children are trafficked across international borders each year. Millions more are trafficked within their own national borders for a variety of purposes, including forced labor, bonded labor, sexual servitude, and involuntary servitude."
FICTION: Slavery/trafficking does not occur in the U.S.
FACT: "Each year, an estimated 14,500 to 17,500 foreign nationals are trafficked into the United States. The number of U.S. citizens trafficked within the country each year is even higher, with an estimated 200,000 American children at risk for trafficking into the sex industry." (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/ncvrw/2005/pg5l.html)
FICTION: Only poor, ignorant, and non-educated people engage in trafficking/ labor & sexual exploitation.
FACT: A handful of U.S. trafficking victims have suffered abuses at the hands of diplomats.
"Do not take advantage of a widow or an orphan. If you do and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry. My anger will be aroused..."
(Exodus 20:22-24)
"learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow."
(Isaiah 1:17)
Hi, Ruby.
ReplyDeleteI promise you this is my last blog change.....maybe I'll update Xanga once in a while, but I"m going to distance myself from Tumblr and WordPress......I'm such a blogwhore :(
Anyways,
Child trafficking makes me sick.