4.02.2009

The praise of a soul


As with most books, I've tried to finish this book on numerous occasions throughout the years-- only to read part-way through and then give up again. In the past, I couldn't really understand why 'Confessions' was such a popular and lauded book, but I think I'm beginning to realize why so many people have been drawn to it.

According to the Preface, 'Confessions' is "technically not an autobiography or memoir but a confiteri--the praise of a soul."

It sounds cheesy, but I'm really astounded at the depth of Augustine's understanding, knowledge and love for God. He wrote an entire book devoted to praising God, for pete's sake! I feel so ashamed, to think of the countless times I fumble to utter even one word of thanks to God; days when I choose sleep or comfort over prayer; and many more times when I take for granted the privilege of knowing and calling Him intimately, by name...

Abba,
Father.

If I had a 'spiritual' mirror, would it reflect the "praise of a soul"?-- or would it reflect something ugly and full of gall? I'm afraid that more times than not, it's the latter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"See how feebly the soul limps along unless it is planted in solid truth."

"What am I to You that You demand my love and care enough to be angry and threaten me with grievous woes if I don't give it? It is no small woe if I do not love You.
Oh, have mercy on me and tell me, O Lord my God, what You are to me. Say to my soul, 'I am your salvation.'
Behold, Lord my heart lies exposed before You. Open the ears of that heart and say to my soul, 'I am your salvation.'
After You have spoken, allow me to quickly graps You."
- St. Augustine

2 comments:

  1. im confident for me my spiritual mirror reflects the latter.. but that's who we are so it's okay. God doesn't judge us by a spiritual mirror but rather by what Jesus has done!

    anyway, if i were to ever start reading, i hope that i can read that book one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know, right! i've reread this book over and over again but i can't get past the denseness of the writing. it's so loaded with so much theology and information like tozer's books.

    ReplyDelete